Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Novena to St Catherine of Siena - Day 5



The Prayer of St. Catherine on which I am reflecting  today, is a typically Trinitarian one, calling on the Father as Power the Son as Wisdom and the Holy Spirit as Mercy.  Its concerns reflect St. Catherine’s pre-occupation:  Peace and unity for the Church, mercy for the world and the people to whom she was ministering, and strength for herself in the tension under which she found herself working.

 

PRAYER

Power of the eternal Father, help me!

Wisdom of the Son, enlighten the eye of my understanding!

Tender Mercy of the Holy Spirit,

enflame my heart and unite it to yourself!

I proclaim, eternal God, `

that your power is powerful and strong enough

to free your Church and your people, to snatch us from the devil’s hand,

to stop the persecution of Holy Church,

and to give me strength and victory over my own enemies.

I proclaim that the wisdom of your Son,

who is one with you, can enlighten the eye of my understanding

and that of your people,

and can relieve the darkness of your sweet bride.

And I proclaim, eternal gentle goodness of God,

that the mercy of the Holy Spirit, your blazing charity,

wants to enflame my heart and everyone’s

and unite them with yourself.

Power of you, eternal Father,

wisdom of your only begotten Son in his precious blood;

mercy of the Holy Spirit,

fire and deep well of charity

that beheld this Son of yours fixed and nailed to the cross-

you know how to

and you can

and you want to,

so I plead with you:

have mercy on the world and restore the warmth of charity

and peace and unity to holy Church.

O me!      I wish you would not delay any longer!

I beg you, let your infinite goodness force you

not to close the eye of your mercy!

Gentle Jesus!     Jesus love!

No comments:

Post a Comment